One of the keys to carpet maintenance is the timely removal of spots and spills. This means acting quickly when anything there has been a spill.
Detergent Solution: Bellbridge recommends creating a solution of 1 teaspoon of Woolite, 1 teaspoon of white vinegar and about a quart of warm water. Keep a bottle of this economical mixture on hand for those unexpected spills.
Recommended Spot Cleaning Method:
- Scoop up solids first
- Blot up as much liquid as possible with a clean white or fabric towel
- Apply Spot removal treatment to the clean towel and not on the carpet directly. Always work inwards from the edge to prevent spreading. With any cleaning product that you have not used before on the carpet make sure to test a small inconspicuous part of the carpet first before a general application.
- Rinse the area with cold or luke warm water.
- Blot the area dry using paper towels or a dry using a fan.
- Never, Never scrub or rub your wool carpet as this can cause permanent pile distortion
Types of Treatment:
- Add cold water and blot
- Detergent solution or WoolClean Dry Spot Remover #1*
- Methylated mineral spirits, turpentine, or WoolClean Dry Spot Remover #2*
- Chill with aerosol freezing agent or ice cubes in a plastic bag. Pick or scrape off gum.
- Warm water
- Clean nail polish remover (preferably acetone)
- Isopropyl alcohol
- Rust remover
- Absorbent powder (e.g., salt, talc or Absorb-It™*)
- Absorbent cleaner (Host®, Capture®, or Dri-Matic
The natural soil repellent properties of the wool fiber do not require a lot of special cleaning. You should have your carpet professionally cleaned once every 1 to 2 years or as needed.
We highly recommend finding a cleaner who is experienced cleaning wool carpets as some solvents used to clean Nylon carpets might not be suitable for wool. Finding a reputable wool carpet specialist by checking references is worth the time, but is worth it to help keep your Bellbridge carpet clean and healthy.
For example, your professional cleaner should not apply any stain repellant treatments that contain silicone because they tend to accelerate carpet soling. As always have the cleaner test the cleaning agent on a small inconspicuous area before proceeding to the entire room. Always vent your rooms out thoroughly both during and after a professional cleaning to freshen your air and to help the carpet dry thoroughly which helps prevent mold.
|Spot Cleaning||Order of Treatment|
|Step 1||Step 2||Step 3|
|Candle wax **||–||–||–|
|Colas and Soft Drinks||1||2||–|
|Gravy and Sauces||5||2||3|
|Ink (Fountain Pen)||1||2||–|
|Ink (Ball Point)||4||7||2|
|Ink (Felt Tip)||5||2||6|
|Oil and Grease||3||2||–|